LEADING ferry company Stena Line are the official sponsors of the Tall Ships volunteers 2015. The Tall Ships is set to be one of the most exciting maritime events of the year and over 535 volunteers have been recruited to undertake ship-specific liaison roles as well as event management, media support, customer servicing and volunteer support.
Marc Casey, Stena Line’s Route Marketing Manager Irish Sea North, said: “We are proud to be sponsors of the volunteers at this year’s Tall Ships festival. It is set to be an actioned pack four days and with fantastic events and activities planned for all of the family the thousands of people expected will keep our volunteers busy.
“As a way of celebrating the event, Stena Line will host a marquee from July 2nd-5th and we encourage people to come and visit us as we will be running a draw to give away fantastic prizes including two Apple iPads and two Apple watches.
“As well as informing customers about some fantastic offers available, face painters, balloon modellers and special Maritime entertainers, will be on hand to keep the kids happy,” Marc added.
From 2 – 5 July 2015, over 50 tall ships from across the globe will anchor in Belfast for the start of The Tall Ships 2015 Race. Here is a small selection of what’s planned:
· The amazing Red Arrows will do a fly past preceding the Tall Ships parade in their Hawk T1 jets, followed by an aerial display close to the stunning, Carrick Castle. Flypast will be at 11am over Titanic Belfast, followed by a full display at Carrickfergus.
· There are many fun workshops during the festival including – World’s Smallest Kite-making Workshop where you can learn how to make a kite in your favourite colours before launching it to the breeze. The Percussion Boat Workshop, will allow you to get hands-on and experiment with a variety of electronic and junk percussion. The Living History Viking Workshop will provide craft displays from the Viking period and an exciting interactive experience that brings the past to life.
· The Ulster Aviation Society's 'Sky Meets the Sea' exhibit will celebrate Northern Ireland's strong aviation link with the sea. You can climb aboard a full-sized replica Spitfire for a photo, and enjoy other fascinating items from their huge collection. The exhibition will take place throughout the Tall Ships Belfast event.
· The main stage at the Odyssey Arena will feature musical performances from various artists including, The Nooks, Saffyre, the Down and Out String Band and the Broken String Band. Plus sixteen year-old ‘Britain’s Got Talent’ pop star, Bailey McConnell, who has just finished his debut US tour.
· The Dock Market has over 30 stalls to enjoy, packed with locally handmade products with everything from gourmet waffles and award-winning burgers to melt-in-your-mouth cupcakes and fresh bakes. There will also be stalls showcasing the very best of Belfast's art, photography, craft and fashion so you can buy a memento for loved ones.
· Vintage Teas and Music on SS Nomadic - Thurs 2 July - Sat 4 July, 12-4pm and Sun 5 July, 11am-4pm. Enjoy vintage afternoon teas with period music on Titanic's original tender ship, SS Nomadic.
· In conjunction with the Ulster Scots Agency, Scottish Maritime Museum presents a replica 1934 canvas canoe and 'the Vennel', a 22ft St Ayles Skiff on display. You can see demonstrations on oar making or learn the techniques of boat building.
· End on a high with the Tall Ships Parade of Sail when the Northern Ireland shoreline will come alive as the magnificent flotilla of ships sails out of Belfast around 12 noon. Sunday 5 July from 11am will be the best date to view the vessels 'en masse'.
Terms and conditions: *Available on selected sailings. Travel to be completed by 17th December. Cannot be used in conjunction with any other offers. Subject to availability.