Two of the most competitive categories at this year’s Ulster Tatler Awards are set to be the Businessman of the Year and Businesswoman of the Year Awards.
The Ulster Tatler Awards, now in their 12th year, celebrate the achievements of homegrown individuals and businesses, the likes of which have been filling the pages of the province’s leading lifestyle and society magazine for more than 50 years.
As well as awards in the beauty, fashion, interiors and hospitality industries, the ceremony also recognises familiar faces who have helped put Northern Ireland on the map, in the form of Celebrity of the Year, Sportsperson of the Year and the showcase Lifetime Achievement Award.
With fields ranging right across the business scope, five men and five women all homegrown from across the province will contest to be awarded Businessman and Businesswoman of the Year.
Andy Malone of AMPT Body Transformation Meals, Gavin Dynes of John Dynes and Sons, Gerry McBride of Bronze Tanning Salons, Wayne Lyons of Soaks Bathrooms and John Paul of John Paul Florists are all in the running for the coveted Businessman award.
Amongst the women shortlisted for the Businesswoman of the Year award are Kathie McCausland of Perfectly Pure, Paolina Hawthorne of Diversity NI, Jayne Gibson of Insight Out, Rhonda Houston of Granny Shaw’s Fudge Factory and Trisha Heaney of I AM Social Media.
The Ulster Tatler Awards in association with Insanity Tan features 14 categories voted for by the public, as well as the highly-anticipated Lifetime Achievement Award which has recognised some of the province’s best-loved personalities over the years such as Dame Mary Peters OBE, Brian Friel, Sir James Galway, Gloria Hunniford, Barry McGuigan, Marie Jones and Hollywood actor Ciaran Hinds who was honoured at last year’s ceremony.
Shortlists in each category have been compiled from votes cast by members of the public with judging panels of media and industry experts then selecting the winners to be announced at the glamorous ceremony which will take place on September 12 in the brand new venue St. Anne’s Cathedral, presented once again by treasured TV personality Pamela Ballantine.
“The wealth of talent we have here in Northern Ireland is second to none in numerous fields, particularly the constant flair we see in business, sport and entertainment,” said Chris Sherry, editor of Ulster Tatler.
“The difficulty in choosing just one deserved winner seems to become greater every year and that speaks volumes on just how high the standard is across the province.
“We are looking forward to what will be a very exciting awards celebration, where this year we mark the 12th anniversary of the Ulster Tatler Awards with a stunning new venue and new title sponsor on board, we are even more thrilled to see what this year’s Awards brings and the night will once again be hosted by our good friend and TV personality Pamela Ballantine.
“As always, this is going to be a very special night as we recognise the great successes and talents coming out of Northern Ireland with local celebrities and performers making it an exceptionally entertaining evening,” concluded Chris.
ULSTER TATLER AWARDS 2019: Category shortlists
Fashion Boutique of the Year
- Cameo Boutique – Ballyclare
- Rose and Poetry Boutique – Lisburn
- Karisma Boutique – Enniskillen
- Graham – Enniskillen
- The Wild Rose Boutique and Bridal – Newry
Coffee House of the Year
- Jack’s Coffee Shop – Fintona
- Nobel Cafe – Ballymena
- Café No.47 – Donaghmore
- Froth Coffee – Lisburn
- The Jolly Sandwich Shop – Enniskillen
Hairdressing Salon of the Year
- Houston Hair – Ballymena
- Leighann Rea Hairdressing – Belfast
- Edward John Hair Salon – Belfast
- Urban Roots – Belfast
- Root Cube – Belfast
Beauty Salon of the Year
- FAB Beauty – Armagh
- Beauty Culture – Belfast
- Silhouette Beauty – Castlederg
- La Maison House of Beauty – Lisburn
- Clare McKinney Make up and Beauty – Lisburn
Spa of the Year
- Radiance Beauty and Day Spa – Belfast
- Galgorm Resort and Spa – Ballymena
- Corick House Hotel and Spa – Tyrone
- Pure Day Spa – Killinchy
- Dunamoy Spa and Cottages – Ballyclare
House of the Year
- Ballybarnes House – Newtownards
- Holywood House – Co Down
- McNeice House – Armagh
Hotel of the Year
- Armagh City Hotel – Armagh
- Bayview Hotel – Portballintrae
- The Grand Central Hotel – Belfast
- Titanic Hotel – Belfast
- Killyhevlin Lakeside Hotel & Lodges – Fermanagh
- Gordon Annan of Annan Interiors – Enniskillen
- Alastair Gilmore of Roycroft – Belfast
- Emma Chambers of Neptune – Ormeau Rd Belfast
- Shauna Kelly, Shauna Kelly Interiors – Magherafelt
- Dollybird Interiors – Omagh
Independent Travel Agent of the Year
- Oasis Travel – Lisburn
- Thompson Travel International – Portadown
- Carefree Travel – Enniskillen
- Weir Travel – Ballymena/Coleraine
- Terra Travel – Craigavon
Businesswoman of the Year
- Kathie McCausland – Perfectly Pure – Dungannon
- Paolina Hawthorne – Diversity NI – Belfast
- Jayne Gibson – Insight Out – Belfast
- Rhonda Houston – Granny Shaws Fudge Factory – Glenarm
- Trisha Heaney – I AM Social Media – Newry
Businessman of the Year
- Andy Malone – AMPT Body Transformation Meals – Newry
- Gavin Dynes – John Dynes and Sons -Newtownards
- Wayne Lyons – Soaks Bathrooms – Belfast
- Gerry McBride – Insanity Tan / Bronze – Armagh
- John Paul – John Paul Florists -Derry~Londonderry
Restaurant of the Year
- The Speckled Hen – Dunmurry
- Tuk Tuk -Newtownards
- The Ivory – Belfast
- Edo – Belfast
- Courtney’s Steakhouse – Newry
Celebrity of the Year
- Adrian Dunbar – Enniskillen
- Gary Lightbody – Bangor
- Stephen Clements – Carrickfergus
- Jamie-Lee O’Donnell – Derry~Londonderry
- Paddy Raff – Belfast
Sportsperson of the Year
- Rory Best – Craigavon
- Jonathan Rea – Ballynure
- Jacob Stockdale – Newtownstewart
- Aaron Hughes – Cookstown
- Ciara Mageean – Portaferry