Lewis Hook’s fourth goal of the season just 2:54 from the final buzzer helped the Belfast Giants to a 3-2 victory over the Glasgow Clan in their first Premier Sports Elite League home game of the season.

The Great Britain winger tipped in Jeff Baum’s shot late in the third period which, along with 19 saves from netminder Tyler Beskorowany, earned the team the two points and takes them to 3-3-0 on the early season.

First period

The Giants got off to the perfect start as, despite having taken a too many men call after just 52 seconds, Scott Conway showed some beautiful stickhandling up the middle to slot home shorthanded at 1:18. (1-0)
Both sides had powerplay chances to strike before the end of the first period, with Ciaran Long (elbowing) and Medric Mercier (holding) heading off for both sides, but it would be just the one in it at the intermission.
Second period
The Clan passed up a chance to tie the game early in the middle frame when their powerplay failed to capitalise on a cross-checking call to Cam Knight, and the visitors then needed goaltender Shane Starrett to make a huge save when Ben Lake fired a rebound that seemed destined for the goal.
Glasgow would tie it, though, and the Scots would make it a shorthanded goal apiece, Mathieu Roy going on the breakaway and slotting it past Beskorowany at 33:25 despite Brock Beukeboom having been sent to the box for tripping. (1-1)
Belfast Giants v Glasgow Clan - Elite Ice Hockey League
Photo by William Cherry/Presseye
Third period
Darcy Murphy hit the post on an early third period powerplay with Cody Sol off the ice for elbowing, but the second time the Giants’ special teams were called into action they connected.
With Beukeboom back in the box for holding, J.J. Piccinich had the initial shot from the half-boards and when Starrett could only deflect it back into the crease, Jordan Boucher was there for the tap-in at 51:17. (2-1)
But the Giants’ lead would only last shortly over a minute as the Clan quickly tied it once again, captain Dyson Stevenson sniping one past Beskorowany from the left circle at 52:26. (2-2)
However, just when it looked like the two sides would need overtime to decide it, Hook came up with the vital winner for the Giants, the GB forward getting the tip on Jeff Baum’s shot to find the twine with 2:54 remaining to seal the two points for Adam Keefe’s side. (3-2)
Next up
The Belfast Giants are back on the road for their next game, travelling to Dundee Stars on Sunday 14th November live on Premier Sports TV. The team return to The SSE Arena, Belfast to host Manchester Storm on Saturday 20th November. Get your tickets HERE.

Leave a Reply


More from author


The Belfast Giants crossed a stormy Irish Sea for the first game of a Scottish double header weekend on Saturday,

Neighbourhood Café – a new spot for coffee and brunch opens in Belfast’s Cathedral Quarter. 

Neighbourhood Café has opened at 60 Donegall Street in Belfast’s Cathedral Quarter. Open Thursday through Monday from 7:30am - 4pm, Neighbourhood brings specialty coffee,...

Schoolgirl becomes Lord Mayor of Belfast – for one day only

A 9-year-old schoolgirl has had a taste of political life in Belfast after becoming the city’s Lord Mayor for one day only.

NI Chamber President: It’s time to shake off the shackles and focus on opportunity

The President of Northern Ireland Chamber of Commerce and Industry (NI Chamber), Paul Murnaghan has hailed the benefits of dual market access during a...