When the coronavirus started spreading, people were advised to wash their hands properly and frequently to get rid of germs and prevent the transmission of the virus.
When they cannot use soap, alcohol-based hand sanitizers with at least 60% alcohol content serve as a great alternative, especially when running errands. Even so, too much alcohol can have adverse effects on the skin and body.
Skin irritation – Excessive use of hand sanitizers, which contain chemicals such as alcohol, chlorhexidine, chloroxylenol, and triclosan, can cause irritation as it strips away the skin’s natural oils. When the skin’s natural moisture barrier gets disrupted, it becomes more susceptible to bacteria.
Dry and broken skin – The alcohols present in hand sanitizers include isopropyl, ethanol, and n-propanol, which can dry and damage skin cells. When this happens, the risk of getting contact dermatitis is higher.
Antibiotic resistance – There is an active ingredient in hand sanitizers called triclosan, which is in charge of the development of antibiotic-resistant bacteria. When you use hand sanitizers way too often, bacteria and other pathogens start to build up resistance to antibiotics, making you more at risk for infections.
Harmful unknown ingredients – A lot of hand sanitizers are made with chemical fragrances, which some manufacturers do not indicate on the label. These fragrances can be irritating to those with sensitive skin and cause allergic reactions, as well as cause hormone disturbance in the body.
Weakens the immune system – A human body that is exposed to a clean environment early in life can have a weaker immune system later in life. A study showed that high levels of triclosan in children and teens made them vulnerable to allergies and hay fever.
HOCL vs Alcohol
HOCL is fast and effective against all known pathogens and kills 99.9999% of harmful germs, viruses and spores including
influenzas, E-coli, C-difficile, MRSA and Norovirus. When used correctly HOCL has the power to destroy, prevent and
control infections wherever risks occur; in Hospitals, in Care Homes, Schools and in the domestic environment.
• Kills Bacteria (99.9999%), Viruses (99.99%) and Spores (99.9%)
• Quat & Alcohol Free
• Suitable for use on Hard Surfaces & Soft Furnishings
• PH Neutral & Non-sensitising to skin, eyes and respiratory tract
• Suitable for use around children, pets and food
• Multi-functional – Disinfectant, Sterilant, Sanitiser & Cleaner
• 1 Year Shelf-Life Opened or Unopened
• No Harsh Chemicals (Made from Everyday Ingredients – Food grade Salt, Water & Electricity)
• Active Ingredient (HOCL) produced by Human white blood cells within our bodies
• Deodorises Naturally without additives, scents or perfumes
• Refillable and Containers are widely recyclable – thereby saving money and reducing plastic waste.