Sortsy has teamed up with Tesco Northern Ireland and Sortsy accredited plumbers City Gas NI to host a number of awareness events and give away carbon monoxide monitors during Gas Safety Week 2016, which is taking place from 19th – 25th September. The aim of the campaign is to educate Northern Ireland consumers on the dangers of gas and the importance of looking after your gas appliances and installing a carbon monoxide monitor in the home to avoid injury or death by this ‘silent killer’.
Sortsy is a locally-developed app which connects consumers in search of trade services across Northern Ireland with skilled and reliable local tradesmen, via an innovative, easy to use smart phone app. Launched in June 2016 Sortsy has an array accredited gas safe plumbers available to customers at the touch of a button.
Claire Carson, junior marketing manager, Sortsy said “Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning. You can’t see, taste or smell, this highly poisonous gas, but it can kill quickly with no warning. As an organisation working with accredited gas safe plumbers in Northern Ireland, and offering their services to our app users we felt it was our responsibility to raise awareness of this ‘silent killer’ and educate our trade partners, consumer app users and the wider Northern Ireland public on how to be gas safe.”
A recent survey by YouGov poll, commissioned by the Katie Haines Memorial Trust, has confirmed that two fifths of British people do not have an alarm to detect carbon monoxide gas in their home and of the 2133 adults questioned, 11% thought the pilot light could be yellow and still be safe, 14% thought it could orange and 4% thought it could be green, while 15% said they did not know what colour it should be.
Around 40 people in the UK die every year as a result of carbon monoxide poisoning. The NHS says that, on average, four people every day have to go to A&E with suspected carbon monoxide poisoning yet figures show only half the homes in the UK have a monitor fitted.
Ryan Burnison, managing director, City Gas NI, said “Badly fitted and poorly serviced gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide poisoning. By taking care of your gas appliances properly you are taking care of your home and your family.”
Follow these few simple checks to keep you and your family safe.
• Check your gas appliances every year. Gas appliances should be safety checked once a year and serviced regularly by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
• Check your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card. Make sure they are qualified for the work you need doing. You can find this information on the back of the card.
• Check for warning signs your appliances aren’t working correctly e.g. lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room.
• Know the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning – headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness.
• Have an audible carbon monoxide alarm. This will alert you if there is carbon monoxide in your home.
The Sortsy team will be in Tesco Extra stores including Knocknagoney, Newtownabbey and Antrim from Thursday 22nd to Saturday24th September consecutively, where customers can benefit from tips and advice on being gas safe as well as the opportunity to win one of 10 Tesco carbon monoxide monitors for their home.