Women in Business has recognised outstanding business women from across Northern Ireland at the 7th Annual Women in Business Awards.
The Awards, presented at a gala evening, recognise the hard work, dedication and progress of local female business women and this year received a record number of entries.
Eleven inspirational women together with two organisations, were acknowledged for their outstanding contribution to business in Northern Ireland with Marie-Thérèse McGivern receiving the accolade for Outstanding Business Woman of the Year 2017.
As principal and chief executive of the longest established further and higher education college in Northern Ireland, Marie-Thérèse has led the institution from the edge of corporate collapse to a state of financial stability, strong satisfaction levels and restored pride. A well-deserved winner, she has spoken all over the world on the issue of urban regeneration and held numerous advisory, visiting and honorary posts.
The winners include:
- Award for Outstanding Business Woman of the Year 2017, Marie-Thérèse McGivern (sponsored by The Irish News)
- Award for Young Business Women of the Year 2017, Rachel McCully, BTY Cosmetics (sponsored by Ulster Bank)
- Award for Outstanding Innovation, Katie McKinley, axial3D (sponsored by The Innovation Factory)
- Award for Best in Professional Services, Maurica Mackle, Mackle Communications (sponsored by O’Reilly Stewart Solicitors)
- Award for Outstanding Management and Leadership, Carmel McKinney OBE, Northern Ireland Fire and Rescue Service (sponsored by Fleet Financial)
- Award for Excellence in IT, Joanne Kearney, GlowMetrics (sponsored by Citi)
- Award for Best Exporter, Celine Grant, Re-Gen Waste Ltd (sponsored by Aer Lingus Smart Flies)
- Award for Best Customer Service, Cathy Coomber, axial3D (sponsored by RSA Insurance)
- Best Small Business, Irene McAleese, See Sense (sponsored by Danske Bank)
- Award for Best New Start Up. Laura Briggs, Jack Straws Ltd (sponsored by The Northern Ireland District Councils)
- Award for Best Small Business Marketing Campaign, Lora White, Budget Music Videos (sponsored by Kaizen Print)
- Award for Best Corporate Marketing Campaign, Visit Belfast (sponsored by Kaizen Print)
- Award for Advancing Diversity in the Workplace, Deloitte (sponsored by First Trust Bank)
Imelda McMillan, Women in Business Chair explains, “We are delighted to honour these women this evening, they have demonstrated not only high levels of skill and business acumen, but the tenacity and determination required to succeed in their area of business. I would like to congratulate each one of our winners.
“Although women are excelling in business they continue to face obstacles and unequal opportunity in the workplace. We encourage everyone to continue to tackle these issues through education, mentoring and discussion. The recently launched Gender Diversity Charter Mark was developed to enable organisations to identify and reflect on institutional barriers facing women that impact on their career progression, and help progress the overall diversity agenda.”
As well as rewarding excellence, the evening also sought to inspire women to continue to push the boundaries, challenge perceptions and change stereotypes. Finalists and guests were addressed by leading business woman Chanelle, Lady McCoy, co-head of Ireland’s largest pharmaceutical company, Chanelle Medical.
Commenting on the level of accomplishment Chanelle said, “At the Awards I have met so many inspirational, motivated and dedicated women who have set out to chase their dreams and achieve their goals. It is wonderful to be able to celebrate their achievements and acknowledge their drive, grit and determination. Without these women, businesses would not be thriving as they are, girls would no longer have inspirational female role models and workplaces would be a much duller place.
“As women and women in business, we must continue to strive to reach our goals and lift each other up by celebrating each other’s achievements, of which there is an abundance, clearly demonstrated by the level of entrants, finalists and winners here tonight.”