Belfast Giants Storm To Saturday Overtime Win In Manchester

Manchester Storm 3-4 Stena Line Belfast Giants (After Overtime)

The Stena Line Belfast Giants won 4-3 after overtime on Saturday night in Manchester. Tyler Beskorowany backstopped the Giants with the goals coming from Blair Riley, Darcy Murphy, Kyle Baun as David Rutherford grabbed the game winner with 40 seconds remaining.

Trailing after an early Storm goal – the Giants rallied to start the weekend with an important win on their first visit of the season in Manchester.

The Giants started with Tyler Beskorowany in goal and were missing Mark Garside, Colin Shields, Pat Dwyer, Matt Towe, Jim Vandermeer and Andrew Dickson.

Frantic Opening Period in Manchester

The opening period was a frantic affair with two fights, three goals and 99 penalty minutes handed out by the referees.

The home side struck first as Luke Moffatt bundled the puck home at 1:04, assisted by Dane Byers and Logan McMillan.

Then Darcy Murphy’s clever play helped bring the visitors level. Murphy collected the puck from the boards, deked around the Manchester defenceman and found Blair Riley wide open at the back post to slot home at 10:56.

Murphy had a goal of his own soon after when he and David Rutherford combined well at 15:06 to give the Giants the advantage.

Curtis Leonard dropped the gloves with Ciaran Long at 18:46, taking exception to the Storm forward’s late his from behind on Jonathan Ferland.

At 19:41 the game was stopped for another clash as Blair Riley went toe-to-toe with Dallas Ehrhardt in the last of the action packed opening period.

Giants And Storm Trade Middle Period Goals

Kyle Baun extended the Giants lead at 22:44 with a clever powerplay finish, assisted by Dustin Johner.

Mike Hammond pulled the hosts to within one at 26:35, squeezing the puck into the Giants net, assisted by Shane Bakker and Rob Limsmayer.

Kendall McFaull dropped the gloves with Shane Bakker right at the end of the middle period after the Storm player charged into the Giants defenceman.

Storm Stun Giants In Final Period

Chris Auger equalised for the home side against the run of play at 56:26, assisted by Riley Stadel and Evan Richardson, to take the game into overtime.

Giants Claim Important Overtime Win

David Rutherford’s impressive goal earned the Giants the win in Manchester. With only 40 seconds remaining, Rutherford, assisted by Gelinas and Beskorowany, skated the puck into the Storm zone and unleashed a fierce wrister top shelf to take the win.

Final Score:
Manchester Storm 3-4 Stena Line Belfast Giants

Giants Man of the Match:

#91 David Rutherford
Next Up?
The Giants will return to away Elite League action again on Sunday against the Nottingham Panthers, face-off 4pm.
Belfast’s next games at The SSE Arena are Thursday 15th – Saturday 17th November in the Continental Cup Semi-Final. Tickets are now on sale from as well as from the Arena Box Office in person or by calling 028 9073 9074.

Leave a Reply